Paraquat is a highly toxic herbicide and brief exposure can cause paraquat poisoning, although prolonged exposure often results in more serious injury and even death. Exposure to or consumption of paraquat can lead to many health risks, including an increased risk of Parkinson's disease.
If you or a loved one has been found with Parkinson's disease due to exposure to paraquat, you may have the right to go for the paraquat Parkinson judicial proceedings, which may offer financial compensation.
Image Source: Google
Immediate side effects of exposure to paraquat include:
- Difficulty breathing or failure that could potentially lead to death
- Increased pulse
- Gastrointestinal discomfort (such as nausea, diarrhea or bloody stools and vomiting)
- Fatigue or muscle weakness
- Pain and swelling in the mouth and throat
Paraquat poisoning can also lead to more serious long-term health consequences, such as:
- Parkinson's disease
- Atypical Parkinson's
- Multiple system atrophy
- Progressive adrenal paralysis
Symptoms of Parkinson's Disease:
Parkinson's disease is a neurodegenerative disease of the brain caused by the loss of neurons and the neurotransmitter dopamine they produce, which gets worse over time and gradually causes a variety of motor and non-motor symptoms.
Motor symptoms refer to any symptoms that affect your movement or motor skills, such as walking or controlling your body.
Parkinson's disease is characterized by the following motor symptoms:
- Bradykinesia (slowing of voluntary movements and reflexes)
- Impaired balance or postural instability
- Stiffness of the limbs
- Shaking movements with relaxed muscles
In people with Parkinson's, the non-motor symptoms of their disorder can often affect their daily problems more than their motor symptoms.
Non-motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease include:
- Cognitive impairment
- Insomnia or other sleep disorders